I've been cooking a long time. My mum believed my brother and I should know how to make things like grilled cheese sandwiches from an early age. When she went back to work when I was 10, I (and then my brother when he was old enough) was expected to begin dinner. She left instructions but I was learning.
One summer they painted the house - inside and out. I have issues with ladders and I'm not a very patient painter. I traded jobs. They painted. I cooked. I learned to make pie from scratch and good basic meals. But I learned to cook for four.
I love making a pot of soup or stew, reheating leftovers for a few days before freezing the rest. But I have a tiny freezer (and no room for a second one), hate wasting food and still love to cook. What to do?
Just before the end of the year, I bought "The Pleasures of Cooking for One" by Judith Jones. I love her voice and her stories. (She was Julia Child's and James Beard's editor.) Thanks to one of her recipes I cooked calves' liver - with onion-wine sauce - for the first time tonight. It turned out very well. The extra piece will go into the pasta recipe she includes. I think that's what drew me to the book. You cook a little extra of things but use the leftovers in a new way.
I think this will be a cookbook I delve into often. I'll even try making souffle for one ... once I find a small souffle dish.
Hi, Ruth. I just signed up for the Candlemas Wheel of the Year course and was missing the community aspect (even though I didn't participate as much as one could ... ). Remembered you had linked your blog at one point (and my computer did, too), so decided to pay you a visit. Glad to see you are doing good things for yourself this year. That does sound like a good cookbook -- although the liver part doesn't appeal to me.
ReplyDelete